Owner, LalenaLab (2007 to present)
• Write and illustrate children’s picture books.
• Illustrate editorial content for educational and trade publishers.
• Design, edit and illustrate promotional materials for nonprofits and private companies.
• Design for children’s animation on the web, in apps, and on television.
• Conceptualize visual identity for nonprofits, institutions, and companies.
Contributing Graphics Editor, The New York Times (2003 to 2005; and 2020 to 2023)
• Created data visualizations for the daily emailed Morning Newsletter during the Covid-19 pandemic.
• Designed maps and charts, and wrote questions, for the weekly News Quiz.
• Researched and designed charts and diagrams for the news, science and business sections.
• Wrote headlines and explanatory text for information graphics.
• Deepened skills with Adobe Illustrator, Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets, and proprietary software.
• Contributed to election-related research.
Lecturer, Texas State University School of Art & Design (2014 to 2016)
• Taught Communication Design courses utilizing Illustrator and Photoshop.
• Participated in the portfolio review process for students entering Communication Design.
Designer, Little Airplane Productions’ The Wonder Pets (2005 to 2007)
• Designed characters and backgrounds for animated TV show on Nickelodeon.
• Created characters in rotation and expressive poses, using Adobe Photoshop.
• Composed backgrounds using digital photographs and Photoshop effects.
• Designed and constructed costumes for main characters.
• Created handmade art to decorate backgrounds of the show.
Designer, Layout Artist, and Modelmaker, Nickelodeon’s Blue’s Clues (1998 to 2002)
• Designed characters, backgrounds, and 3D models for animated TV show.
• Designed and drew model sheets of characters in key poses and in full rotation.
• Created props from clay, fabric, wood, and other materials.
• Created characters and backgrounds in Photoshop, broken down for animation.
Graphic Designer and Studio Manager, Matthew Barney (1995 to 1998)
• Designed posters, books, and CD packaging.
• Assisted in the production of artist’s fine art video and sculptural work.
• Maintained financial records and served as liaison to gallery.
Editorial Artist, The Houston Chronicle (1992 to 1995)
• Designed and produced daily section fronts including icons, charts, and maps.
• Created charts and diagrams for the news, sports and business sections.
• Wrote explanatory text and headlines for information graphics.
• Art-directed the annual Fine Arts Calendar and weekly tabloid Yo! Houston.
• Illustrated articles using pen and ink, collage, and Photoshop.
Cartoonist and Illustrator, The Daily Texan, University of Texas at Austin (1989 to 1990)
• Drew a daily comic strip alongside Chris Ware and Robert Rodriguez.
• Illustrated articles for the award-winning university newspaper, circulation 30,000.
Associate News Editor and News Reporter, The Daily Texan, University of Texas at Austin (1989 to 1991)
• Edited news stories for clarity, style, and space.
• Investigated and wrote news stories focusing on city government.
• Edited staff and wire stories for style.
• Wrote headlines and photo captions.
Rock Camp for Girls, New York City and Austin (2005 to 2016)
Volunteered at an all-girls’ summer day camp teaching guitar and bass, and coaching
young rock bands in songwriting and creative collaboration.
Master of Fine Arts, Painting/New Forms, Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, New York, 1997
Mexican History and Spanish, Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León, Monterrey, México, 1991-1992
Bachelor of Journalism, University of Texas at Austin, 1992